Tooling for the CS-1 Gyratory Sifter
Below you will find a list of common problems customers have with the CS-1 sifter. Please contact us if your current issue is not listed.
Sifter Parts & Service, Inc. stocks a full line of tools designed specifically for the CS-1 sifter. These heavy-duty tools are designed to last and speed up maintenance time. Having the right tools will help ensure that maintenance is done correctly. Tools available are: (A) Shim Tool, Knuckle & Bushing tools: (B1) bushing extractor rod (B2) bushing insertion rod & (B3) knuckle base, (C) Bearing adaptor tool & (D)Upper bearing remover.
- Attach the grip to a air gun or a heavy duty socket wrench.
- Secure the Upper Spindle (B21-U) to prevent the wheel from spinning.
- Thread the collar onto the shaft of the upper spindle. Tighten until hand tight, then press up on the collar using a drift pin or flat head screw driver until the collar will tighten further.
- Attach the grip to the collar of the bearing adapter (B27-A).
- Tighten the adapter collar clockwise until tight. The upper spindle should lock in place or be hard to rotate.
- Inspect the wheel for the best match to the locking ring located under the collar. Note: the adapter may need to be tightened or loosened to fit properly.
- Press the locking ring tooth into the grove of the collar using a drift pin.
- Unlock the upper wheel by hitting the upper spindle with a 4×4 two or three times. After hitting the spindle it should spin freely.
- Remove the locking ring tooth from the collar of the bearing adapter.
- Attach the grip to an air gun or a heavy duty socket wrench.
- Turn the grip counter clockwise to remove the collar.
Note: the collar should not be removed all the way. It is used to loosen the adapter (B27-A) from the lower bearing (B26-L).
(Use of a press is required.)
Installing new bushing:
- Place knuckle assembly (#42) on the receiver base.
- Lubricate the outside of the bushing (#44) to be installed.
- Put the bushing over the hole in the knuckle casting and place the bushing insertion tool on top of the bushing (#44)
- Press into position.
Removing old bushing:
- Place knuckle assembly (#42) on top of the receiver base. Receiver base must be placed on a solid surface high enough for the bushing (#44) to drop completely out of the casting.
- Insert extraction rod over center of bushing (#44).
- Press the extraction rod thru the knuckle casting.
- Prep deck for new gasketing.
- Apply glue to the bottom of the gasket.
- Use press to insert the gasket into position. Roll the press back and forth to ensure a proper fit.
- Remove any glue that may attach to the press.
(Requires(4) C-clamps, ½” wrench, & a level.)
Note: Sifter base must be on a solid level surface before shimming
- Attach a shim tool to each leg of the spider base (B01) using a small C-clamp
- Using the ½” wrench tighten the screw on the shim tool until it comes into contact with the lower sheave wheel(#28)
- Place a level on top of the upper spindle (B21-U)
- Adjust each shim tool as needed until the sifter is level.
- After all (4) legs are adjusted check that the sifter will not move side to side or front to back. If the sifter is free from any rocking movement and is level, than it is ready to install the X-frame (#32)
(Requires the use of a press.)
Note: The press can only be used on newer upper spindles. If your upper spindle does not have (3) plugs in the bottom than this will not work. A bearing puller is required for older spindles.
Removal of the upper bearing:
- Remove the (3) grease plugs in the bottom side of the upper spindle (B21-U)
- Remove the small snap ring (B22) from the shaft of the upper spindle
- Put the 3-pronged press into the (3) holes in the bottom of the spindle and place entire unit into your press
- Press down on the 3-pronged press until the upper bearing (B24-U) is removed